A BIG NEWS for every cricket fan out there, some of the biggest names in the cricket world are set to make a comeback soon and for a very noble cause. Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Brain Lara and Muttiah Muralitharan are among the big names set to feature in a T20 tournament called the ‘Unacademy Road Safety World Series’, aimed at promoting road safety.
The Road safety World Series will be an annual T20 cricket tournament between legends of five cricket playing nations — Australia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, West Indies and host India. The cricketers are expected to spread the message of road safety during this League.
This series aims to create awareness about road safety. Among the organisers are the Professional Management Group and the Road Safety Cell of the Maharashtra Government.
Every year, more than 1.5-2 lakh people die on Indian roads due to vehicular accidents; one person dies every 4 minutes and 1,214 road accidents occur every day in the country. In the last five years, more than 65 lakh people were disabled completely. As cricket is the most followed sport in the country and cricketers are looked up to as idols, the Series aims to create awareness about road safety and change people’s mindset towards their behaviour on the roads.
“Road safety is a serious concern. One person dies every 4 minutes in India and we all should join hands to make our roads safe and save precious human lives,” added the senior member of the Road Safety Cell of Maharashtra and Chairman of the Trust, Shant Bharat Surakshit Bharat. The initiative of the Maharashtra Government has been hailed by the cricketing nation.
The profit earned from the event will be used by the Road Safety Cell to promote road safety and also will be used to create awareness about the fact that India ranks the highest in terms of deaths caused on roads, although the players’ payments will be taken care of by the franchises. The organisers had received a positive nod from the BCCI in 2018 for this series, and part of the plan is to host this event for 10 years across India.
The tournament starts on 7th March and the Final will be played on 22nd March. Along the course, 11 matches will be played.
Out of the 11 matches in this tournament, 2 will be played at Wankhede Stadium, 4 at Maharashtra Cricket Association stadium in Pune, 4 in DY Patil stadium in Navi Mumbai and the final game will be played at Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai, owned by the Cricket Club of India.
- Match 1: March 7, 2020: India Legends vs West Indies Legends at Wankhede (Mumbai)
- Match 2: March 8, 2020: Australia Legends vs Sri Lanka Legends at Wankhede (Mumbai)
- Match 3: March 10, 2020: India Legends vs Sri Lanka Legends at DY Patil (Navi Mumbai)
- Match 4: March 11, 2020: West Indies Legends vs South Africa Legends at DY Patil (Navi Mumbai)
- Match 5: March 13, 2020: South Africa Legends vs Sri Lanka Legends at DY Patil (Navi Mumbai)
- Match 6: March 14, 2020: India Legends vs South Africa Legends at MCA Stadium (Pune)
- Match 7: March 16, 2020: Australia Legends vs West Indies Legends at MCA Stadium (Pune)
- Match 8: March 17, 2020: West Indies Legends vs Sri Lanka Legends at MCA Stadium (Pune)
- Match 9: March 19, 2020: Australia Legends vs South Africa Legends at DY Patil (Navi Mumbai)
- Match 10: March 20, 2020: India Legends vs Australia Legends at MCA Stadium (Pune)
- Match 11: March 22, 2020: FINAL at Brabourne Stadium (CCI, Mumbai)
Where to watch
Viacom 18 is the official broadcaster of the series. Colors Cineplex will broadcast all the series with live streaming available at Viacom 18’s streaming service VOOT and Jio TV app
Tickets of the match are available on BookMyShow.com and the range is from INR 50 to INR 500.
You may also Enjoy FOREEST HILLS TALA WEEKEND GATEWAY